The basic idea
Change the words of favourite songs (like Baby Shark) or nursery rhymes to try and make each other laugh. Babies and young children react to funny faces and voices as much as the lyrics.
Over to you, wee one
Pause halfway through a line and see if your child makes their own suggestion – even the baby shouting “GAAAAH!” can be funny! They’ll soon get the idea.
- Wee ones learn through repetition AND novelty (this does both!)
- Vocabulary/pre-literacy skills
- Helps children feel listened to
- Laughing together feels awesome
- Ask “What other songs can we change?”
- Older children can play with rhyme
- Sing about what you see on your daily walk!
- If it’s just you and your baby, use whatever words that make YOU laugh, baby will love it anyway
Some children might make the same suggestion over and over again: there’s no pressure to think up new ideas every time.
Clap, praise them and ask them to take a bow when you feel like wrapping up.