The basic idea
It’s a classic – take an object and pretend it’s something else. I wonder what this is… a hat? A steering wheel? A dinner plate? An eyebrow? Act out as many ideas as you can think of, making sound effects and funny faces as you go.
Over to you, wee one
Let your wee one play with the object – they may copy your ideas, they might act out their own. Young children can imagine and communicate ideas long before they can speak. Watch what they’re doing and ask questions, “I wonder…” is a powerful phrase to spark imagination.
- Vocabulary and imagination
- Divergent thinking and problem solving
- Putting random objects on your head and pretending they are hats is HILARIOUS
- Act out ideas without speaking and turn it into a guessing game with older children
- Add a few objects into a ‘treasure box’ to add an element of surprise
Once you establish this game, any object can be used at any time, anywhere, to pass a few minutes. The sillier the better – go for it!