The basic idea
Today we’re painting with everything except brushes: potato mashers, combs, toothbrushes, sponges, bubble wrap – anything washable. TOP TIP: Smaller objects can be held in clothes pegs if your wee one doesn’t like the feel of paint on their hands.
Over to you, wee one
Too much choice is overwhelming – start with only a couple of ‘brushes’ or colours of paint, so your wee one can make decisions and explore different effects. Gradually add more ‘brushes’ and colours so the experience lasts longer.
- Numeracy/vocabulary as you chat about shapes, distance, lengths, textures
- Creativity and divergent thinking
- Uses objects you already have at home
- Chat about what other objects/materials you could (or shouldn’t!) use and try new ideas
- Take it outside and explore natural materials
- Have warm soapy water on standby so your wee one can enjoy washing up afterwards
Your wee one may prefer to mush the paint about with their hands. They may prefer to chew the objects (make sure paint for babies is edible). Be led by their interests and don’t stress about a finished product – it’s all learning.