The basic idea
Den-making is a fantastic form of imaginative play. A den can, after all, be anything! After you build your den, secretly add objects with a variety of textures, weights and shapes for your wee one to discover… Who left them there?!
Over to you, wee one
Dens are a great way to escape from the outside world – let your wee one explore the objects away from screens, siblings or other distractions. Babies will enjoy the chance to touch (and taste!) while toddlers and preschoolers might see the objects as treasure or a mystery to solve. Follow their lead and see what they’re drawn to.
- Young children learn about the world through their senses
- Imagination and concentration
- Bonding and chill out time together
- Make it a story den – sharing a book by torchlight in a snuggly space can be magical
- Can you introduce new colours, lights, soft music, or breeze from a window or fan?
Don’t worry if your den doesn’t look Pinterestready. The important part is the process of building and what you do inside. The best resource children have is the adults around them!