The basic idea
Ready for a challenge? Download a free beat maker app on your phone. Start a beat playing and, at the same time, read a rhyming story to your wee one. Read aloud to the beat. Hey presto, you’re a rap star! Give it a go and have a laugh.
Over to you, wee one
Hold up two books and let your child choose which one you will rap. They might tell you with words, by pointing, grabbing or even with their gaze. If it’s a story you both know well, leave gaps in your rap and see if they join in, making noises, or even rapping on their own!
- Exploring rhythm is great for speech and pre-literacy skills
- Builds concentration and listening skills
- Amazing bonding opportunity – have fun and laugh together
- Tap a steady beat with your hand/foot, or even try beat boxing!
- Rap and move your bodies to the beat
- Check out Sprog Rock rapping nursery rhymes on the Bookbug app
Nobody expects you to be Jay Z – give up any pressure to be perfect (or even good) and embrace the silliness of rapping children’s stories. Your wee one will think you’re brilliant.