The basic idea
For babies, trace words like “I love you” on their tummy as you chat with them. For wee ones able to sit up/stand and scribble, say shapes, letters and numbers as you trace them on their back.
Over to you, wee one
Make an offer: “Can you draw on MY back and I’ll guess what you’re drawing?” As they ‘draw’ on your back, draw what they do on paper (or whatever else you have). Copy them as closely as you can – slow, fast, swirly, dots. Then swap over if they’re up for it.
- Great for bonding, touch and cuddles
- Pointing, communication and expression
- Building blocks for literacy
- Babies may not start ‘drawing’ but don’t worry, touch and chat are just as important
- Older children can guess number, letters, shapes or even answer questions
- Can you ‘draw’ songs like Incy Wincy Spider?
Don’t worry about getting it right all the time, half the fun is making mistakes and having a giggle! If your show your wee one it’s okay to get it wrong and try again they will take the same positive attitude.